Hollow Forms – 2-day class with Phil Irons
Intermediate to advanced levels. Continuing professional development. Two-days of skill development in woodturning technique.
Please note that if you select to pay a deposit, that the full price of the class is €400, with the outstanding balance to be paid 6 weeks before the class begins.
During the Masterclass you will learn
- Sourcing and harvesting wood and how to cut it to get the best results.
- Sharpening and type of gouges and scrapers for best results.
- The best method of holding the workpiece. The how, and why the perfect chuck spigot is important.
- The importance of stance at the lathe and grip of the gouge is in creating good form.
- Discuss why simple shapes are more pleasing to the eye and easier to hollow.
- How to hollow efficiently with minimum impact on the body with both cutting and scraping hollowing tools.
- The importance of uniform wall thickness and how to get it.
- Show different methods of finishing from sanding through to oil and lacquer finishes.
- And finally, reverse turning to remove the spigot and finish the base.
Your fee includes all tuition, class materials and meals.
9 – 11 workshop
11-11.15 short break
1– 2 lunch break (home cooked lunch)
3.45-4 short break
Terms and conditions for class bookings are on the bottom of the home page